This is the fourth of seven posts from the book Zealous: 7 Commitments for the Discipleship of the Next Generation. Podcasts and other links are at the bottom of this boast.
For more about this series of posts go to the Introduction post
Each post contains a summary of a commitment along with some ways we are trying to implement that commitment at Trinity Baptist Church.
The fourth commitment is "Proclaiming the Glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ"
"The most God-centered, gospel-focused curriculum and the most funded, age-appropriate, parent-integrate program in the world cannot raise our children from spiritual death... Ultimately, the salvation of children is in God's hands." (p. 59)
I am writing this post the week before Trinity's VBS and we are praying God would use the excitement and teaching during this unique week of the summer to help kids know what it means to be saved. At the same time, we need to focus on faithfully teaching God's Word, clearly proclaiming the Gospel, and glorifying God in all we do and say. Our goal is not to get kids to say a prayer or make a decision. Our goal is faithful teaching and clear proclamation.
"We are to lay a solid, deep foundation by clearly and patiently presenting the key essential truths of the gospel found throughout the Bible." (p. 60) This is done during Vacation Bible School, weekly in Sunday School and Children's Church, and regularly during family conversations.
Tracts and Gospel presentations can be helpful resources that point people to the truth of God's Word and the glorious hope found in the Gospel. However, we must also remember that these tracts and types of presentations are merely attempts to summarize or illustrate the amazing truth that is the Gospel. There are several reasons why we are using Matthias Media's Who Will Be King? Gospel booklet in VBS. First, it begins with God, the creator and the ruler. Second, it ends with God. The question "Who will be king?" is not just a momentary, fire-insurance decision. It is a response that shows a clear understanding of who God is, what sin is, why we need Jesus, and how we should live in response to these truths.
Truth 78's The 10 Essential Gospel Truths expands these points even more.
- God is the sovereign Creator of all things.
- God created people for His glory.
- God is holy and righteous.
- Man is sinful.
- God is just and is right to punish sin.
- God is merciful. He is kind to undeserving sinners.
- Jesus is God's holy and righteous Son.
- God put the punishment of sinners on Jesus so that His righteousness might be put on them.
- God offers the free gift of salvation to those who repent and believe in Jesus.
- Those who trust in Jesus will live to please Him and will receive the promise of eternal life - enjoying God forever in heaven.Jesus
Every lesson we teach the kids at Trinity Baptist Church needs to be communicating one or more of these truths.
- Two Ways to Live, which is the adult version of "Who Will Be King?"
- Proclaiming the Glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ podcast link
- The 10 Essential Gospel Truths pdf
Free God is the Gospel ebook
- Free God is the Gospel ebook
Post a Comment