Tuesday, April 11, 2023

A Crazy World BUT...

This is the first of a series of monthly posts on contemporary issues impacting families and children.  There are some planned topics for these posts.  You can also email Pastor Dave about possible topics.

Actually, the title of this post should be A Crazy World AND...

The AND... is God is Good and Sovereign.

This post is meant to provide two things:

  1. Some specific resources to help families in this crazy time.
  2. General encouragement as you live and parent in this day and age.

SPECIFIC RESOURCES

  • God Made All of Me: A Book to Children Protect Their Bodies.  

While this book “equip parents to build a first line of defense against sexual abuse in the safety of their own homes,”  it is helpful to for conversations with boys and girls about how God created their bodies.

  • God Made Boys and Girls: Helping Children Understand the Gift of Gender by Marty Machowski
"In a world where there is so much confusion about gender and identity, God Made Boys and Girls invites children; to understand that their gender is a gift from the God who made them and loves them."
  • Everyday Talk:  Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children by John Younts

GENERAL ENCOURAGEMENTS

This post is a summary of the recent men’s conference.  Here is a summary of the answer I shared when one dad asked “With all of the things going on in the world around us, what advice do you have for families with young children?” 

Remember you are not the answer to your child's needs.  Jesus is.

I got a little emotional when answering this question because it is a question I struggle with as dad.  And I want to protect my kids.  I always need to be reminded that in this world my goal needs to be godly living for myself and my family.  Not necessarily easy or safe.  I want my children to grow in the hope they have in Jesus Christ because "he who promised is faithful (See Hebrews 10:23) 

I am not going to be able to help them through every problem, difficulty, challenges, and sin they will face but I can help them see how to love God more and live a godly life (See Hebrews 10:24).   

The “have an answer" in 1 Peter 3:15 needs to be read in the context of 1 Peter 3:13 - 18.  This answer is given in the midst of suffering.  The encouraging part is the answer is rooted in hope – Jesus Christ.  

The answer comes back to Jesus Christ every time. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment