The Christmas Season is when we are easily distracted - family, gifts, food, gifts, the end of the year, gifts, and so many other things, including gifts.
Did I mention GIFTS? They become distracting because we think about what we are getting or giving.
The reality is Christmas is a celebration of the GREATEST GIFT EVER GIVEN, yet we often obsess about much lesser gifts during this time.
“If we want to give our children the gift of clearer gospel understanding this Christmas, we must put more thought into how we lead them than we put into buying gifts and making Pinterest crafts.” From the podcast episode An Intentional Advent.
Considering Intentional Advent, here is what we are planning for this year.
A four-part Christmas series on words often used this time of year.
Hope - December 3
Peace - December 10
Joy - December 17
Love - December 24
Instead of doing a churchwide daily Bible reading plan, we will provide two different resources:
- An every Wednesday in December post, connecting Sunday's sermon to the first four questions of the New City Catechism (newcitycatechism.com/new-city-catechism/#1)
- A list of suggested Christmas books and websites for you to use. More will be added on Monday 11.20.23. You can also list any resources or ideas in the comment section of this post.
- Last year's TBC advent posts
- The Christmas Promise Advent Calendar - for younger children
- God's Big Promises Advent Calendar - for younger children
- Good News, Great Joy - various ages
- The Jesus Storybook Bible Advent Activity Book - for families
- The Wonder of the Greatest Gift: An Interactive Celebration of Advent - for families
- The Dawning of Indestructible Joy - for teens and adults - free pdf
- The Weary World Rejoices - for teens and adults - free pdf
- Come, Let Us Adore Him - for teens and adults
- For tbcgrkidz posts on this, click HERE
- (11.25) The Biggest Story Advent Devotionals and Ornaments - free pdf